Cobra III, which is another version of the classic bhujangasana, is unique because it doesn't ask you to place your hands on the floor. The emphasis is on strengthening both the lower and upper back.
Try out cobra III by following these steps:
1. Lie on your abdomen with your legs spread at hip width and the tops of your feet on the floor; rest your forehead on the floor.
2. Extend your arms back along the sides of your torso with your palms on the floor as Figure 11-3a illustrates.
Cobra III strengthens the lower and upper back and the neck.
3. As you inhale, raise your chest and head and sweep your arms like wings out to the sides and then all the way forward.
Keep your legs on the floor, as shown in Figure 11-3b.
4. As you exhale, sweep your arms back and lower your torso and your head slowly to the floor.
5. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 three times and then stay in Step 3 (the last raised position) for 6 to 8 breaths.
Was this article helpful?