This exercise is useful for compensation or warm-up. Vajra (pronounced vahj-rah) means both "diamond/adamantine" and "thunderbolt."
1. Kneel on the floor with your knees and feet at hip width.
2. Sit back on your heels and bring your back up nice and tall. Hang your arms close to your sides.
3. As you inhale, lift your hips back up and sweep your arms up over your head (see Figure 15-15a).
Lean back and look up.
4. As you exhale, sit on your heels again, fold your chest to your thighs, and bring your arms behind your back (see Figure 15-15b).
Get into a nice flow. Inhale when you open, exhale when you fold.
5. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 six to eight times.
Don't perform the thunderbolt if you have knee problems.
Was this article helpful?