Every meditation technique offers something of value to the mind and body. We believe that procedures that quiet your mind allow you to glimpse the silent space between thoughts and help expand consciousness and heal the body. A very simple, effective, and easily learned meditation technique uses the breath along with a breathing mantra to quiet the mind and relax the body. If you are unable to receive personal instruction from a Primordial Sound Meditation teacher, the So Hum meditation described below will help take your awareness from a constricted to an expanded state of consciousness, aligning you with the Law of Pure Potentiality.
We recommend that you practice this technique for twenty to thirty minutes twice daily. We encourage you to perform it soon after awakening and again before dinner. Although some people find that if they meditate before bed they may have difficulty getting to sleep, you may find that by meditating at bedtime, you are able to turn off your mental turbulence from the day's activity and fall asleep easily after you have completed your meditation practice.
1. Sit comfortably where you will not be disturbed and close your eyes.
2. For a few minutes simply observe the inflow and outflow or your breath.
3. Now take a slow, deep breath through your nose while thinking the word So.
4. Exhale slowly through your nose while thinking the word Hum.
5. Allow your breathing to flow easily, silently repeating, So . . . Hum . . . with each inflow and outflow of your breath.
6. Whenever your attention drifts to thoughts in your mind, sounds in your environment, or sensations in your body, gently return to your breath, silently repeating, So . . . Hum.
7. Continue this process for twenty to thirty minutes with an attitude of effortlessness and simplicity.
8. When the time is up, sit with your eyes closed for a couple of minutes before resuming your daily activity.
Was this article helpful?