This hymn may be familiar as the Sanskrit song Sarva-mangala'(v.7 onwards)
1) Rishir-uvacha, The Rishi said;
2) Devya hate tatra maha surendre When the great lord of Asuras was slain there Sendrah sura vahni-purogamastam By the Devi, Indra and the Devas led by Agni Katyayani tusht*u-varisht'ha-labha Praised Her, Katyayani: their object fulfilled Dvi-kasi-vaktr-abja-vikasi-tasah And their cheerful faces illumining the quarters
3) Devi prapannarti-hare prasida O Devi, Remover of Your suppliants' sufferings Prasida matar-jagati svilasya Be gracious, O Mother of the whole world, Prasida vishveshwari pahi vishvam O Mother of the universe, protect this universe. Tvam-ishwari Devi char-acharasya Divine Ruler of all that is moving and unmoving.
4) At'hara-bhuta-jagat-astvameka You are the sole substratum of the world Mahisva-rupena yat.ha sthitasi Because You subsist in the form of the earth. Apam swarupa-sthitaya tvayaita- By You, as water, this universe is gratified, Dapyayate kritnamalandhaya-virye O Devi of inviolable valour!
5) Tvam vaishnavi-shakti-ananta-virya O Shakti of Shri Visnu, of endless valour, Vishvasya bijam paramasi may a Primaeval Maya, the Source of the universe Sammohitam devi samastameta By You all this universe is thrown into illusion, Tvam vai prasanna bhuvi muktihetuh When pleased, You give moksha to the world.
6) Vidyah samastastava Devi bhedah All lores are Your aspects, O Devi, as well as Striyah samastah sakala-jagatsu All women in the world, with various attributes. Tvayaikaya purit-ambay-aitat ka te By You alone, Mother, this world is fulfilled. Stutih stavya-para-pariktih How can we praise You, the Source of all praise?
7) Sarva-bhuta yada Devi O Embodiment of all beings, Thou Effulgent Devi, Bhukti-mukti-pradayini The Bestower of enjoyment and liberation, Twam stuta stutye ka va What words, however excellent
Was this article helpful?