This variation tones the spine and strengthens the legs. It can also be quite relaxing as gravity helps you out.
The lying down spinal twist.
1. Begin by lying down, with your knees bent and your palms together in front of your chest, as if in prayer (namaste).
2. Straighten your arms toward the sky, and let your knees and outstretched arms drop (control the movement) to the right.
3. Lift your left arm, and bring it up and over, so it rests on your left side. Your arms are extended like a "t" with your body. Gently turn your head and look at your left hand.
4. Breathe. Enjoy. Relax.
5. Turn your head back to the right, bring your left hand back to your right hand, then gently bring your knees back to center.
7. Yoga Adventure: For an extra challenge, practice deep breathing while resting in the lying down spinal twist. The twist adds resistance to the expansion of the lungs, strengthening all the muscles used for breathing.
Was this article helpful?