Warning: Improper fasting may jeopardize your health. Normal fasting over any Period exceeding 3 days should be done under the supervision and guidance of either a doctor, healer or your Guru if done so for spiritual reasons.
Proper fasting however can lead to a purification of your physical body and your spiritual body alike, hence it can be safely applied and used for spiritual benefits and to improve your physical health as well if done correctly.
This chapters gives you an insight to
• Fasten in general
• Fasten for spiritual reasons
Fasten is a very old tradition practiced in many cultures, religions and spiritual traditions. What exactly is fasten and why do people fasten?
True fasting means a complete stop of any food intake for a period of time. As food you may consider anything that supplies the body with calories, i.e. with energy. That means that with the exception of pure water just about anything else, food, beverages, milk, soft drinks, juices, any sweetened drinks, like tea or coffee etc. will supply you with some kind of energy.
Fasten does speed up the detoxification and purification of the physical body and the metaphysical body as well. Obviously any food or drink we take does contain physical energy and metaphysical energy as well. Nowadays most food lacks of natural ingredients and natural preparation. Many fruits and vegetables are grown with artificial fertilizers and are often chemically treated during their growth or after collecting them. This may cause an accumulation of toxins inside your body. The accumulation of toxins over an extended period of time may often cause some very severe illness, as rheumatism and similar diseases that usually start among a large percentage of the population after they reached a certain age.
There may be several steps of fasting. Before you start consider any fasting, you certainly may want to have a close look at your eating habits. It makes little sense to fasten, when before and after the period of fasting you still continue with poor eating habits. Proper food from the point of view of pure, fresh and high content of Prana contained in the food you eat is what you want to learn to eat day after day.
• Become a vegetarian - as meat of any kind, beef, sheep, goat, fish, chicken, can never create harmony and health, because it was earned trough killing and suffering, it was earned by causing pain to others - according to the law of Karma this pain is coming back to you and after an extended period of doing so without learning or changing your habits it then may cause a variety of different pain within your own physical body. This pain is usually only a fraction of what has been caused to others, but still for some it may be more than enough. So please have a look at all your eating habits, whatever you eat should always be grown by preserving and protecting nature and form of life in nature. God is everywhere and within anything - whatever you do to anything, you do to yourself and to God.
• Prefer to eat anything fresh rather than cooked food, i.e. salads and fruits
• Fruits of any kind, i.e. fruits, berries, nuts, natural cereal ... are of highest quality in their vibration
• Select fruits and vegetables that have been grown with natural or no fertilizer at all. Mulching is a modern and very preservative method of taking care of agriculture land
• Select fruits and vegetables that have been grown in natural sunlight and that have completely ripened in the Sun. Void products that have been prematurely collected just to make them easier to store over extended periods. Products that are grown under plastic or glass have much less Prana (life-force) than products from open air plantations
• Eat only fresh products
• Pure tap water, if clean is still the healthiest and best drink for your body. Any mineral water or bottled water should only be used where no fresh and good quality tap water from a local source is available
• Water is of highly purifying quality. The minimum for purification of your body should be 1 -1.5 liter per day on cool days and up to 2 - 3 liters and more on hot days or when working hardly
• Water or any other drinks like herbal tea should always be taken a minimum of half an hours before meals and never together or following the 2 - 3 hours after meals. A good habit is to drink 1 to % hours before each meal approximately % liter of pure water. This will supply the body with all the fluids for a good digestion. Drinking with or immediately after meals disturbs a proper digestion. Water and fluids are of the element of "water". This is used to flush the body from any waste-energy left in the body. High quality food contains high percentage of the element of "fire" and "air" - both are reduced or destroyed in their value by the element of "water". The digestion in your stomach takes approximately 3 to 4 hours for light vegetarian food. This is the best time to wait before taking any drinks after your meals
• Use herbal tea with caution and beware of the fact that herbs are medicine. One or two cups of the right herbal tea may support the purification and best possible function of your body. However void repeated intake of one and the same tea over an extended period, unless your healer or doctors approved or prescribed it
• Remember that everything can be medicine and thus can be healing, but it always depends on the right time, the right dose and the proper dilution of that energy for any particular situation
Beginners may start their fasting by skipping a meal each day for one or two days each week. Best would be to skip breakfast, as by the morning your stomach is already empty for many hours and is used to it. When you may feel hungry at the usual time for breakfast, just think or do anything positive that you may enjoy and that can absorb all your attention for a while and you notice the hunger disappearing for some time. It is like a child that wants your attention and if it doesn't get it, goes playing on its own again. If your hunger sees you paying attention to something else, it may go for a while, then try again and after a few tries just stays away. Remember: Keep your attention on something positive and busy - or meditate deeply. During this time when you skip for example breakfast, you may drink up to 1 liter of water or in hot whether even more. When you practice this successfully you may realize that you may feel even stronger without food than with. The purification of your physical body shows its positive side-effects. The more you get your body purified by proper eating habits and some fasting, the more metaphysical energy starts to flow through you and the better you may start to feel.
By now it may be time to skip even two meals a day, for example breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner. Whatever is more suitable to your daily plan of physical work and meditation schedule. But of course, if you start to skip one or two meals a day for a few weeks, it is important to have for the remainder of your meals the freshest possible food. Only the best should be good enough and this means fresh salads and fruits. Salads and fruits are ideal whenever you reduce the total volume of food-intake, because they provide the highest amount of pure natural energy including all important vitamins and minerals.
Some people may now start to think of lack of protein or fat or what so ever. But remember that elephants also are vegetarian and have plentiful of muscles and strong bones. ;-))
Hundreds of millions of people in Asian countries and else where are vegetarians and enjoy excellent health.
These above point are preparatory for any fasting. By practicing natural and pure eating habits as described above for a few years, you may then consider your first extended fasting. By extended is meant more than 3 days and less than approximately 3 weeks. Short time fasting of up to 3 days can be done any time when feeling healthy and well. Do it only during periods of normal and moderate physical work and exercise. Whenever you plan very hard work or intense physical exercise you should at the beginning of your experience take normal food quality and quantity.
When you plan your first fasting of approximately 10 to 20 days under the supervision of a medical doctor, healer or your Guru, you may even combine it with fasting walks. This is a very good method of increasing the benefits of fasting. It is practices with daily easy walks starting at approximately 6 to 10 km and increasing daily up to approximately 30 to 40 km maximum and 15 to 25 km being the minimum by the end of your fasting walk. Drink 3 to 4 liters of pure water and watch your blood sugar level by listening to your body's symptoms. This should only be done under supervision of a knowledgeable person experienced with this special way of fasting. To keep the blood sugar level safe, it is important to walk at moderate to slow speed and make frequent rests. Any kind of motion and moderate exercises during fasten-periods are speeding up the purification process in your physical and metaphysical body. Take care of your body, it is a vehicle given to your soul to learn important spiritual lessons on this planet, so handle your physical body with care and love while continuously aiming at your spiritual goal until you reached it. The goal of any soul on earth and elsewhere is freedom in God.
After several years of spiritual practice like for example extensive Kriya Yoga leading to your daily Kriya Pranayama being in the range of more than 4 - 6 hours each day for more than 2 to 3 months, you may then start to reduce your food intake daily over a period of approximately 4 to 6 weeks by increasing at the same time your total number of Kriya Pranayama practiced each day.
Notice that this food reduction and increase of Kriya Pranayama should be done only if you are a vegetarian for at least 3 to 4 years before attempting it. Best is to practice this under direct guidance of your personal Guru. He may assist you in finding the best individual method for you.
When you have reached a total of approximately 8 hours or more of Kriya Pranayama for more than one week you may reach a point where you may completely stop any food intake except pure water. At this point you may need less water as your body is already purified.
This is the time for an extended spiritual fasting that usually may last 40 days or even longer. It is done under direct supervision of your Guru or under the Divine guidance of God. You may know for sure at this time that your body is fed by the Divine life-force coming from God and you may feel and know all the needs of your physical body. This usually is the time when you may be ready to achieve your first Nirbikalpa Samadhi to experience your complete God-Union. This complete God-Union takes places with your breathing completely ceased and your heart completely stopped. Hence you "die". But you may realize the enormous flow of Prana coming directly from God and keeping your physical body young and alive while you enjoy the Divine Bliss and Love from God.
When you are ready for extended and repeated spiritual fasting, you may notice your energy within your physical body increasing day after day. You may at this point do any hard work or physical exercise and realize that you have more power than ever before. Notice that it certainly is advisable to practice this for the first time only under the direct guidance of your spiritual Guru, whether he may have a physical body or just a spiritual body. Be cautious and listen to the inner guidance received from God, also listen to your physical body's true needs to fulfill all it's function at the highest possible quality.
May Divine Bliss guide you
Overview all chapters | Home
Divine rules of life on your way to God
While Yama and Niyama may help you to stop moving away from God by stopping to cause any Karma, there is a need to go much further on your way to God. There is a need to follow some simple and yet highly advanced rules of life on your way back to God. A set of rules for daily life, allowing you to dissolve any Karma, open your heart and soul for the need of all others around you in God's creation, allowing you to actively start developing your Divine potential of Love toward all and any creatures on this planet and beyond.
This will allow you to actively live the first and great commandment, the only true Divine law coming directly from God. These rules will prepare you for a long journey through many spheres, dimensions, universes until you are one with God and will be free for eternity.
Was this article helpful?